In my early thirties I was diagnosed with aggressive early-onset osteoarthritis, characterized by degenerative lumbar and cervical disk disease and severe knee joint degeneration. In my determination not to become disabled, and in my search to find an alternative to chiropractic visits, pain medication, and inevitable knee replacement surgery, I discovered Pilates and its low impact effectiveness in strengthening the body. I've utilized my personal experience with arthritis into an opportunity to help others who are also afflicted with this often debilitating disease. Over the past 7 years, through my own company, Proper Pilates, and my license as a chiropractic therapy assistant, I use Pilates-based physical therapy to rehabilitate patients and clients. Many of my patients have different forms of arthritis and arthritis related diseases, such as osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, scoliosis, osteoporosis, spinal stenosis, and injury related arthritis. It is rewarding to work one on one with patients, not only to see their physical progress but to also know that I've made a significant difference in the quality of their lives. In addition, I've conducted Pilates training workshops for physical therapists and hospitals in the Southeastern United States, and I teach several Pilates classes per week and a class called Gentle Stretch, which I designed for all people, many who have physical limitations due to arthritis.


My personal experience with arthritis, and my compassion for others who are afflicted with arthritic conditions, has led me to become an Ambassador for the National Arthritis Foundation and to promote its mission: "To improve lives through leadership in the prevention, control and cure of arthritis and related diseases." With the Arthritis Foundation, I am pro-active in education, advocacy, and life improvement programs to promote arthritis based programs for Americans to help prevent further disability.



Monday, June 6, 2011

Cruise With a Cause Mission to Jamaica - Wakefield Basic School

May 30 thru June 4, 2011 the Humphries family was blessed with the opportunity to join Cruise With a Cause where we traveled by ship from Miami to Montego Bay Jamaica. From there, our team of 10 traveled 2 hours by bus to a remote mountainous area of Jamaica, through narrow bumpy dirt roads and the Jamaican jungle, to a poor small town called Wakefield, where we ministered to school children.

Lisa with two precious beautiful little girls. 

At Wakefield Basic school. Whenever we took out the camera, the children all wanted to be in the picture. Look at this cute little guy in the middle!

Whenever we we go on a mission trip, we have grand ideas of how we will minister and bless these children, but in reality we are the ones who end up being blessed 
by the outpouring of love from the children. 

As soon as I got off the bus, the little children rushed to me and held onto me. 
We fell in love with them instantly.

Jamaican school children outside their school house. To the right you will see and unfinished pre-school. We would like to go back with a team to help finish building the pre-school. It would cost about $3000.

So proud of my husband Randy as he teaches the little children about the Lord.

Randy as he reaches out to a little girl.

Randy holding a little girl.

My husband training members of our mission team.

Our sons Joshua, Cody, and Justin ourside at the port, ship in the background, 
waiting to board the bus for our journey to the school. 

No comments: