In my early thirties I was diagnosed with aggressive early-onset osteoarthritis, characterized by degenerative lumbar and cervical disk disease and severe knee joint degeneration. In my determination not to become disabled, and in my search to find an alternative to chiropractic visits, pain medication, and inevitable knee replacement surgery, I discovered Pilates and its low impact effectiveness in strengthening the body. I've utilized my personal experience with arthritis into an opportunity to help others who are also afflicted with this often debilitating disease. Over the past 7 years, through my own company, Proper Pilates, and my license as a chiropractic therapy assistant, I use Pilates-based physical therapy to rehabilitate patients and clients. Many of my patients have different forms of arthritis and arthritis related diseases, such as osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, scoliosis, osteoporosis, spinal stenosis, and injury related arthritis. It is rewarding to work one on one with patients, not only to see their physical progress but to also know that I've made a significant difference in the quality of their lives. In addition, I've conducted Pilates training workshops for physical therapists and hospitals in the Southeastern United States, and I teach several Pilates classes per week and a class called Gentle Stretch, which I designed for all people, many who have physical limitations due to arthritis.


My personal experience with arthritis, and my compassion for others who are afflicted with arthritic conditions, has led me to become an Ambassador for the National Arthritis Foundation and to promote its mission: "To improve lives through leadership in the prevention, control and cure of arthritis and related diseases." With the Arthritis Foundation, I am pro-active in education, advocacy, and life improvement programs to promote arthritis based programs for Americans to help prevent further disability.



Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Thank You Great Clips

I would like to thank Ken and Tammy Roberts with Great Clips for their Mrs. Kentucky sponsorship into the Mrs. International Pageant in July. Great Clips has been cutting my husband Randy's hair, all three of our sons, and my hair as well for the past fourteen years. Great Clips is well known for cutting hair exactly the way you like it, and for a price that is reasonable for the entire family. Thank you Great Clips for serving the Humphries Family for well over a decade of great hair cuts!

No comments: